A corespondent of the Wichita Eagle
writes as follows:
On the south side of the Smoky Hill river, ten miles west of the present site of Ellsworth, and near Cedar Bluff, is a cave in the sandstone rock, where in 1860 the writer discovered on the side of the cave, among ancient hieroglyphics and nearly overgrown with moss, the name and date, "TVREDORE, 1786," neatly cut in Roman characters. This name was supposed to have been cut in the rock by one of a party of Spaniards who in the latter part of the last century attempted to reach the Missouri river from the ancient Spanish settlements in New Mexico, to treat with Missouri Indians and found a Catholic mission. Their motives being misunderstood, the party were ambushed when near their destination and entirely destroyed.
-Neosho County Journal
(Kansas), September 14, 1872